The Three Minute Thesis (3MT™) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland.
The exercise develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of students’ capacities to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience.
Master’s and doctoral students have three minutes to present a compelling oration on their thesis or dissertation topic and its significance. 3MT™ is not an exercise in trivializing or ‘dumbing-down’ research but forces students to consolidate their ideas and crystalize their research discoveries.
Registration & Dates
Registration is now closed for this year’s competition.
Preliminary rounds for the competition will be held Monday, March 23rd – Thursday, March 26th from 3:30PM-5:00PM at the Jackson Street Building, Room 125.
The Final Competition will be held Wednesday, April 8th beginning at 6PM at the UGA Chapel.
Currently enrolled master’s and doctoral students at the University of Georgia will be eligible to participate in 3MT™. Graduates are not eligible.
- Winner: $1,000
- Runner-up: $750
- People’s Choice: $500
- a single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description)
- no additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted
- no additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted
- presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum, and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified
- the decision of the judging panel is final
- Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
- Engagement: did the presentation make the audience want to know more?
Interested in learning more about how to make the most of your 3 minutes? Here’s a guide that that will help you to prepare and deliver an effective 3MT presentation.
Other U.S. schools with 3MT competitions
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia.