Instructions to Recover Funds for the Voluntary Incentive Program

Congratulations!  You have a new grant award and now you are ready to take full advantage of the Voluntary Incentive Program (VIP) offered by UGA’s Graduate School!  Here are the steps to follow to receive the funding to be used for additional PhD Graduate Assistantship(s).

  1. Once the award notice has been received from the agency and a grant account number has been established, the PI of the awarded grant and Tonia Austin-Brown in the Graduate School will receive notification via an automated email from Sponsored Program Administration.
  2. Your departmental financial representative completes a “RIAS Charge to Account Form” to pay the tuition for each student supported by the grant. The link for the form is located at Please note that this form is submitted directly to Student Accounts (please do not submit this form to the Graduate School). NOTE: To recover the assistantship funds in the amount of 1.5 times the base tuition rate, the student’s tuition must be charged on the grant in object code 77000.
  3. If your department does not have a VIP funds account, then your departmental financial representative requests one. This account is used to budget funds for the new Research Incentive Assistantship(s) (RIAS). The account request form with instructions is located at ‘VIP tuition funds’ should be listed for the type of account. All of these departmental accounts will have a project number of 970 assigned by the Accounting Department.  Only one 970 account per department is needed to support all RIAS assistantships in  your department.
  4. Once the account has been established, your departmental financial representative submits a budget amendment to the Budget Department to retrieve the funds for the RIAS assistantship(s). The account (new account) for the budget amendment should be offset using the departmental contingency account number (Ex: 1099GNXXX000). Include in the remarks: ‘RIAS Funds’ along with the grant account number charged and the name(s) of the student(s) for whom the tuition was paid.
  5. Once funding has been transferred to the new account number and a student has been designated to receive the RIAS assistantship, your department processes a payroll personnel and requests a DPAS exemption through the Graduate School. Instructions to request a DPAS exemption are located at (NOTE: RIAS exemptions must be requested through GradStatus each semester. These exemptions do not roll forward like the DPAS exemption. Also, VIP funding may only be used to cover the cost of an assistantship for additional Ph.D. student(s) and should be used within one year of receipt.)

For additional questions, please contact Tonia Austin-Brown at or 706-542-6269.

Updated 1/13/16