Deadlines for admissions purposes are the dates at which time the application file should be complete and materials received in Graduate Admissions and the academic departments. Applicants are responsible for completing a timely application. The Graduate School is not responsible for delays caused by postal or courier services.
Admissions decisions will be made only on complete files. Each completed application, with supporting materials, is forwarded to the department in which the applicant proposes to study, where it is considered by the faculty of that department. No applicant will be admitted without the recommendation of an academic unit. Departmental recommendations for admission are forwarded to the Graduate School after careful consideration of the entire admissions application. Final consideration is given by the dean of the Graduate School.
Consider three sets of deadlines in filing a timely application:
- Departmental deadlines for admission and consideration for assistantship from departmental sources of funding
Deadline: Applicants must contact the academic departments to determine the departmental deadlines, which may be earlier than Graduate School deadlines.
- Graduate School deadline for applicants seeking assistantship consideration through Graduate School funding and competition
Deadline: All general application admission materials must be received in the Office of Graduate Admissions by January 1. Applicants must be admitted as prospective degree candidates by February 15.
- Graduate School deadline for applicants not seeking assistantships and for those whose academic departments do not have earlier deadlines. Applications for admission and all supporting documents must be received in the Graduate School Office by the following deadlines:
- Fall Semester – July 1
- Spring Semester – November 15
- May and Extended Summer Session – April 1
- Summer Semester – May 1
- Fall Semester – April 15
- Spring Semester – October 15
- Summer Semester – February 15
Applicants are urged to apply as early as possible up to one year in advance of the desired matriculation date. All applicants should consult with the graduate coordinator of the specific program for which they are making application to ascertain if the program adheres to an earlier application deadline.
An applicant is admitted for a specific semester. Applicants may not register unless they have been notified of their acceptance to the Graduate School by the Office of Graduate Admissions. Admission is valid only when the person registers for the specified semester. Applicants may contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for information on reapplying or deferring applications to future semesters. Deferred or resubmitted applications are reconsidered for admissions decisions by the academic departments.