Singularity University (SU) was launched in 2009 by Dr. Ray Kurzweil (author of The Singularity is Near) and Dr. Peter Diamandis (Chairman and CEO of the X PRIZE Foundation). UGA Alumna Susan Fonseca (UGA ’96) was one of SU’s Founding Architects.
SU is an interdisciplinary university whose “mission is to assemble, educate and inspire leaders who understand and develop exponentially advancing technologies to address humanity’s grand challenges.” SU students and faculty study biotechnology, supercomputing, nanotechnology, robotics, communications technologies and more with an emphasis on their interactions. SU’s faculty consists of a broad range of leaders in academia, business and government. SU hopes to stimulate groundbreaking, disruptive thinking and solutions aimed at solving some of the planet’s most pressing challenges. Based at the NASA Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley, SU seeks to develop and operate a program that is complementary to existing academia by offering a 10 week Global Solutions Program that promotes interdisciplinary and international aspects of technology development, with a focus towards networking future world leaders.
SU’s Global Solutions Program Participant Requirements
SU recruits participants who are creative, intelligent and driven-for-excellence from around the world and meet the following requirements:
- Experts in one of 4 exponential technologies, 6 tools and methods, and/or 11 global grand challenges, and have a passion to learn about other tracks
- Proven leadership and entrepreneurial skills; candidates for the next generation of CEOs, university deans/presidents and government and NGO leaders
- Internationalists: people who are bilingual or multilingual with a strong command of English and people who have traveled extensively
- Interested in understanding and addressing the world’s grand challenges
Additional information can be found on the Singularity University Facebook Page
UGA Alumni of Singularity University
- Marshall Mosher, MPA, UGA Graduate & Singularity University GSP15 Alum
- Mike Klodnicki, MS, UGA Graduate & Singularity University GSP13 Alum
- Erico Mattos, PhD, UGA graduate & Singularity University GSP12 Alum
- Brinkley Warren, MA, UGA Graduate & Singularity University GSP11 Alum
- Kausar N. Samli, PhD, UGA Graduate & Singularity University GSP10 Alum