The department of Geography at UGA is a leading center of scholarship on the physical and social processes that shape our world. We offer certificate programs in Urban & Metropolitan Studies and Geographic Information Science.
The Geographic Information Science Certificate Program is designed to prepare graduates with advanced training for the rapidly expanding field of geographic information science (GIS).
Degree Awarded: CERT
Why GIScience at the University of Georgia (UGA)
- A comprehensive collection of courses in GIScience and GI Technology is offered by the Department of Geography and other UGA departments. Learning geospatial concepts and skills in geographic data collection and analysis will increase your research and employment opportunities in the growing field of GIScience.
- GIScience faculty have research interests covering various aspects including theories and methods in GIScience, remote sensing, landscape ecology, cartography and geovisualizaiton, health and the environment, urban studies, transportation, community studies, social media, natural resources, human-environment interaction and more.
- Gain real-world experience through GIS internship or a GIS independent study.
Inquiries, Application and Completion
- There are no prerequisite courses required for the graduate certificate program. If you have any inquiries, please contact the certificate program coordinator (Dr. Lan Mu, email@example.com).
- To apply, simply send an email request to the certificate program coordinator. You will receive a reply confirming your registration for the certificate.
- After you have completed all the course requirements, please fill out the Graduate GIScience Certificate Completion Form and send it to the certificate program coordinator for the final evaluation and approval.
- Your GIScience Certificate will be approved if you have fulfilled all the course requirements with an average 3.0 and above GPA in the 15 credits of GIScience courses. You will receive the following confirmation and documents:
- A signed copy of the UGA Graduate GIScience Certificate through the mail (please make sure we have your most updated mailing address).
- An official record on your UGA transcript to show that you have earned the Graduate GIScience Certificate.
Course Requirements (15 credits, and at least 9 credits of GEOG courses) Fifteen credit hours are required to complete the GIScience Graduate Certificate Program. These hours are distributed among two categories: 12 credits in course requirements (category A); and 3 credits of either an internship or a GIS research/applied project (category B). A repeated course (such as a directed study) can only be counted once toward the GIScience Certificate Program’s requirements. Only courses with A-F grading can be used to fulfill the course requirements.
School/College: Department of Geography