History of the Graduate School at UGA
Established in 1910, the University of Georgia Graduate School oversees all graduate programs offered at UGA. Prior to the formal establishment of the Graduate School, postgraduate courses were offered under the oversight of a faculty committee on graduate studies. In 1910, the formal organization of graduate studies into a Graduate School was authorized. Dr. Willis H. Bocock served as the Graduate School’s first dean and was succeeded by R. P. Stephens, George H. Boyd, Gerald B. Huff, Thomas H. Whitehead, Hardy M. Edwards, Jr., John C. Dowling, Gordhan L. Patel, Maureen Grasso, and Suzanne Barbour. In 2020, Dr. Ron Walcott became the inaugural Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate School.