Enrolled Students FAQ

Frequently asked questions for currently enrolled students have been organized into subtopics. Click on a question to reveal the answer.


Can I add a class after the semester withdrawal deadline?

You can add a course after the withdrawal deadline for the current term by complete the late add form showing the approval of the instructor, department head, and Dean of the Graduate School, and submitting the following:

  • a letter from the student explaining the request for a late add;
  • a plan of action from the instructor explaining how the student can complete the course by the end of the term;
  • a letter from the major professor, cosigned by the graduate coordinator, that addresses the reason adding the course is necessary for the student’s program of study; and
  • a letter from the Dean of the Graduate School to the Registrar providing an extraordinary justification for supporting the late add.

When can I register for classes?

See the Schedule of Classes and Key dates listing on the Registrar’s website.
Can I register after Drop/Add?

You cannot register after the drop/add period without special permission. No course may be added to a student’s schedule after the first fourteen calendar days of a term without the approval of the instructor of the course, department head and the graduate dean. Also a letter from the student co-signed by his/her major professor and graduate coordinator.
Can I drop a class after Drop/Add?

A student can only drop without penalty during the designated drop/add period. The word “drop” is synonymous with “delete.” It means the course will be removed from the student records and payment for the course will be refunded. If a student “withdraws” from a course after drop/add, there will be no refund. A refund is given only for complete withdrawals from the university after drop/add. You must “withdraw” from the course after the drop/add period is over.
How do I withdraw from a course or all of my courses?

You can request this by going to the main menu of ATHENA. The ATHENA Withdrawal system will instruct you as you go.
Can I “drop (delete)” courses at any time during the semester?

A course can only be deleted after the designated drop/add period if the student has registered for the course as the result of an error for which the university is at fault. The student and instructor of the course must submit a letter of petition explaining the error to the Graduate School. The letter must be co-signed by the student’s major professor and graduate coordinator.
My schedule was dropped for non-payment. How do I add all my classes back?

You must pick up add cards for each course that was dropped for non-payment. You must add all the classes back that were dropped. There will be a $150 re-instatement fee. You pick up the add cards in your departmental graduate coordinator’s office and get signatures from the instructor, department head, and graduate dean of each course. The form must then be carried to the Graduate School for a signature by a representative of the dean. Then the student carries the form to the Bursar’s Office to make payment and to the Registrar’s Office to have the schedule reinstated.
Can I change a class from “audit” to “credit” or from “credit to “audit”?

This can only be done during the designated drop/add period in the schedule of classes.
How do I find the amounts for tuition and fees?

For information about tuition and fees, see here. If you have any questions, please contact the Bursar’s website.
How many hours must I be enrolled for full-time or half-time status?

Students on Assistantship – Fall and Spring: 12-18 hours; Summer: 9-18 hours

Students not on Assistantship – Fall and Spring: 9+ hours (full-time), 5-8 hours (half-time); Summer: 6+ hours (full-time), 3-5 hours (half-time)

Audited courses do not count for purposes of computing assistantship, full or half-time status.


Probation & Dismissal

What happens if my graduate GPA (course average) drops below 3.0?

You will be placed on “warning” status for the first semester after your GPA drops below 3.0. This is a warning that you will be placed on probation if your GPA is still below 3.0 at the end of the warning semester. If you are placed on probation, you must maintain a semester GPA of 3.0 for each semester until your overall graduate course average is at least 3.0. If your semester GPA drops below 3.0 for any semester during probation status, you will be dismissed from the Graduate School.
Can I pre-register while on warning or probation?

Students that have received a warning letter can pre-register after they turn in their Graduate School Advisement form. This must be signed by your major professor and graduate coordinator. You cannot pre-register if you are on probation. Students on probation, also have to submit the Graduate School Advisement form prior to registering for the next semester, but these students cannot register until the grades for the current semester have been received.


Student Records

How can I get an official copy of my UGA transcript?

Official transcripts are issued only by the Registrar’s Office.
When can I expect my diploma?

The Registrar prints and mails diplomas. The normal time frame is 6 to 8 weeks after graduation.
How do I change my address, name or ID number?

You may contact the Registrar’s office to request a change in your address or you can make this change through ATHENA. For a change in name or ID number contact the Registrar.



Is a format check required for my thesis or dissertation?

Yes, you must submit your document electronically to the Graduate School by the deadline for a format check in your graduation semester. If you do not submit by the deadline, your graduation date will be changed to the next semester.
How do I submit my thesis or dissertation for a format check?

Check Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines for instructions, templates, and the link to submit. You will receive a confirmation page when it is submitted correctly. Print this page for your records.
Will I know if my format is approved?

Yes, you will receive an email from the Graduate School stating whether you need to make corrections to your document or not. If you submit it on or near the deadline, it can take up to two weeks for us to check it and send you a response. If you have not heard from us after two weeks, you should contact gradinfo@uga.edu to make sure your submission went through.
I submitted a format check during last semester. Do I need to submit another format check this semester?

If you have already submitted a format check, you do not have to submit it for a format check again. Once you have passed your final defense and have made all of the corrections suggested by the Graduate School as well as your committee members, you then would submit as a final submission. You will receive an e-mail from the Graduate School once your thesis or dissertation has been accepted as the official UGA copy.



How does the Graduate School know that I am ready to graduate?

All graduate students must submit an application for graduation by the deadline posted for the semester that graduation is anticipated. The application is submitted electronically. Be sure to print the confirmation page for your records.
I submitted my paperwork last semester but didn’t graduate. Do I need to submit all of the paperwork again?

If we already have an approved advisory committee form (required only for doctoral and thesis-writing master’s degrees) and a program of study form (required for all degrees) on file, it is not necessary to submit these forms again. If revisions are to be made to these forms, you would submit a recommended change in program of study form and another advisory committee form with “revised” checked at the top of the form. If no changes are needed, do not submit these forms again.
Have I submitted all necessary paperwork to graduate this semester?

It is recommended that students keep copies of all forms submitted and note the date of submission to the Graduate School. All documents must be submitted by the deadline for the semester that graduation is anticipated. If you are not sure you or your department has submitted a required form, email gradinfo@uga.edu with your full name and 81X number.
How do I change my graduation date?

Prior to your graduation semester, you can change your graduation date in ATHENA. If you need to change to a later graduation date during the semester you were scheduled to graduate, submit the Graduation Change Form (this form must be printed and submitted in hard copy).
When and where will the commencement ceremony take place?

Formal Graduate School commencement ceremonies are held in May and December. The May ceremony is held at 10:00 am in Stegeman Coliseum, and the December ceremony is held at 2:30 pm in Stegeman Coliseum. We request that you report to the coliseum at least an hour prior to the start of the ceremony for assembly of the procession. Tickets are not needed for family members and guests. You may order your graduation gown, hood, cap & tassel by visiting the UGA bookstore. Full commencement details include instructions and a map of the coliseum and assembly area.