The Graduate School provides a template for all departments to use when offering a graduate assistantship to a prospective or current student. This letter has been reviewed and approved by the Office of Legal Affairs. Please contact the Graduate School Business Office for additional information.
Resources for faculty offering assistantships to students
Graduate Tuition Waivers
Withdrawal Process for Graduate Students on Assistantship
Effective Spring 2021: A graduate assistant will only be allowed to keep the tuition waiver if they are experiencing hardship or extenuating circumstances that are preventing them from finishing the semester. This applies to withdrawals initiated BEFORE and AFTER the withdrawal deadline.
- Student Care and Outreach will serve as the liaison for students who are withdrawing from all courses while on a graduate assistantship.
- If the student/graduate coordinator/graduate coordinator assistant contacts the Graduate School, the student will be routed to Student Care and Outreach for verification of hardship and/or extenuating circumstances that are preventing them from finishing the semester.
- If Student Care and Outreach cannot verify the hardship or extenuating circumstances, the student will be responsible for any outstanding tuition and fees if the student chooses to withdraw via Athena.
- If Student Care and Outreach verifies the hardship or extenuating circumstances, Student Care and Outreach will notify the Graduate School of this verification. Upon withdrawing, the student’s tuition waiver will remain in place and the student will not incur any additional charges.
Assistantship Letter Templates
- Departmental Assistantship Offer Template FY24
- GS FUSE Partner Award Template FY24
- GS Master’s Fellow Award FY24
- GS Doctoral Fellow Award FY24
- UGA’s Presidential Graduate Fellow Award FY24
- SEC Emerging Scholars Award FY24
- Dissertation Completion Award FY24
Departmental Annual Rates for Graduate Assistants and Pay Calculator
Graduate School Block Grants
Graduate School Block Grants are awarded to schools and colleges to be used for student stipends and other expenses related to recruiting. Units will be notified by early November of their stipend allocation for the following academic year.