It is important that you complete, and return the application to
Enrolled Student Services
The University of Georgia Graduate School
310 Herty Drive
Athens, GA 30602
no later than the end of the second week of classes during the graduation semester (first week for summer graduates).
- Name: Please use your full academic name. If the name as it now appears on your academic record is not your legal name, please file an official name change with the Registrar’s Office, Academic Building, immediately. No changes in the name are made to the permanent record after graduation.
- Addresses: Your “current address” is the address to which you would like all mail pertinent to your degree program to be sent. This may be different than your permanent address or your diploma address. The Graduate School does not change any addresses in the main computer student records. If the current address is a new one, or if you wish to change your permanent address, you may change it in the ATHENA system prior to your final semester. If you need to change any address during your final semester, you must contact the Registrar’s Office ( http://www.reg.uga.edu/or.nsf )
- Graduation Date: Please indicate in the appropriate space the semester you intend to graduate. If you plan to take transfer credit work your last semester prior to graduation, your graduation date must be delayed one semester to allow time to receive, evaluate, and post the transfer credit. All transfer credit paperwork must be in the Graduate School one month prior to graduation. Please note that you must be registered for 3 hours of Graduate credit at UGA during the semester you complete degree requirements, even if your last course is taken at another institution.
- Change in Graduation Date: If you are unable to meet the deadlines for the graduation for which you originally applied, notify the Graduate School in writing (either by email or by a form available in our office) OR use ATHENA to change the graduation date. If you fail to do so, your file may be placed on inactive status and you would need to reapply for graduation.
- Diplomas: Diplomas are ordered following each semester’s graduation date and are mailed to the graduates approximately six to eight weeks later. Inquiries regarding the receipt of the diploma should be directed to the Registrar’s Office (706-542-4040).
- Commencement Exercise: There are three formal commencement ceremonies held each year – May for the Spring graduates, August for the Summer graduates, and December for the Fall graduates. The Registrar’s Office will notify eligible participants regarding caps, gowns, and the time of the ceremony.